September 20, 2008

Crosswinds Warmup

I took a week's vacation from work and kicked it off with a round at Crosswinds Golf & Country Club, located in Burlington, Ontario. The round began well, with a couple of bogeys, followed by a par. On the fourth hole, a par-5 measuring 538 yards, I got a little unlucky when my second shot found a fairway bunker that was hidden from view. My approach to the green also found a bunker, so you could say it was a sandy hole. I held on for a double-bogey.

On the fifth hole, a par-3 measuring a measly 123 yards, I self-destructed. Visual intimidation is the only obstacle on this hole, with the green surrounded by water. At a tournament a couple weeks earlier, I launched two balls off the tee into the water on this hole. Perhaps that was in my head, because I proceeded to do exactly the same thing once again. From the drop zone, I fared no better. On the moist turf, I duffed a shot with my sand wedge, then skulled one across the green. I chipped on, only to 3-putt for a horrific score of 8. Golf is truly unbelievable at times!

The rest of the round was consistent, but far from spectacular. On the remaining thirteen holes, I registered one par, seven bogeys, and five double-bogeys. My driving was not great, but at the same time, it was not putting me in many tough spots. The same could be said for my iron play. Chipping and putting were not exactly sharp, but they were not atrocious. I finished the round with a score of 98, which was good enough to keep me happy. If not for the blow-up on hole #5, this would have been a round in the mid 90's, which is a solid round for me.

The final round of the Duffer's Dream Tour takes place at Crosswinds a week from now, so hopefully this will serve as a nice warmup.

Score: 98
Par: 72
Putts: 38
Fairways: 4
Greens: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment