September 20, 2008

Post Championship Letdown

On Sunday afternoon, I successfully battled for the 2008 Deepwoods Championship. On Monday morning, I was competing at a Duffer's Dream event, where the stakes were substantially lower. In early August, I was within sniffing distance of the Duffer's Dream leaders, but the standings have not been updated since then, so I don't know where I currently stand. Combined with the fact I was coming off the Deepwoods high, it was difficult to get excited about this round at Piper's Heath Golf Club.

We had a shotgun start at 7:30 a.m. in order to finish before an afternoon tournament was to begin. Apparently, September is the busiest time of year for such events. It was a little chilly when we got started, but after two holes I was playing in short sleeves. I 3-putted four of the first five holes, which did absolutely nothing to boost my confidence. During that stretch, I also struggled with the 3-wood and some of my irons. Chipping was also adventurous, especially around the sixth green, where I took an inflated score.

I had back-to-back pars on hole #8 and hole #9, but that was as hot as I would get. The back nine was a steady series of bogeys and double-bogeys. I was trying to drive the ball with the relaxed tempo I discovered at Whirlpool a few rounds earlier, but it just wasn't working. It's not enough to be relaxed; one still has to be committed to the swing. The 3-wood remained terrible all day and the short game was mediocre, at best. I avoided blow-up holes, but a steady string of double-bogeys will inflate your score just as quickly.

Overall, it was just a blah kind of round.

Score: 103
Par: 72
Putts: 41
Fairways: 5
Greens: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment