October 05, 2009

Bad Karma at The Highlands

I'll have more to say about The Highlands in a little while. For now, here is a summary of some rounds I played earlier in the year, but didn't have a chance to write about until recently. It includes my two best rounds of the year!

Season Low at Lochness Links
New Season Low at Carlisle
Poor Start, Good Finish at Georgian Bay

UPDATE: OK, here's how it went down at The Highlands (Bradford, that is). It was cold and drizzly, but I managed to score eight over par for eight of the holes on the front nine. If you aren't very good at the maths, that equals bogey golf, which for me is pretty good. The problem is, I scored seven over par on the remaining hole. Read that again if you think you misunderstood. I'll wait.

Did you read it again? See? You understood perfectly. Your reading comprehension is clearly better than your maths. How, you may ask, is it possible to score seven over par on a single hole? Easy, just consult the nearest dictionary and look up the words "collapse" or "disaster" to find your answer. If you need a more vivd description, think rain, wind, out-of-bounds, twice, penalty strokes, fescue, pulled shot, short approach, bunker, missed green, chip, two-putt. Isn't it grand?

On the back nine, I managed to score six over par for seven of the holes. With your newly aquired maths expertise, you should realize that is even better than bogey golf. Wow, I'm good! The problem is, I scored a couple of triple-bogeys on the remaining two holes. And by the way, they happened to be the first and last holes on the back nine. The bookend holes. What better way to frame a better-than-bogey stretch of seven holes than with a pair of beautiful bookends?

Now, I don't want to give you too much maths at one time lest you strain your brain, but trust me when I say that adding up the front and back nines tells me that I played fifteen holes of better-than-bogey golf (awesome, dude!) and three holes of crap. For a better appreciation of the term "crap" please consult previously referenced dictionary.

Seriously, the two or three blow-up holes I seem to have during every round need to stop. They absolutely ruin an otherwise good performance.

Score: 99
Par: 72
Putts: 36
Fairways: 7
Greens: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment