October 26, 2009

The Bitter End at Pheasant Run

Weather was once again co-operative, so I headed out for an afternoon round at Pheasant Run Golf Club. Fall rates were in effect, and it turned out to be good value. With a lot of mature trees on the property, fallen leaves always threaten to put a damper on autumn rounds at Pheasant Run, even though staff does a great job clearing the fairways and greens. On this occasion, the leaves were not very troublesome at all.

I'm happy to say that I played much better than I did at my previous round. I registered three pars, eight bogeys, six double-bogeys, and one triple bogey, for a final score of 95. Given the cool conditions, that's really not bad at all.

I used the driver sparingly, opting for 3-wood or 3-iron off the tee most of the time. One exception was hole #5 on the Highlands course. I felt there was enough room between the forest on either side of the fairway, so I decided to have a rip with the big stick. It was my best drive of the day and set me up nicely for a satisfying par. Generally, my play off the tee was good, though I did lose a couple of tee shots in the forest.

Iron play was nothing to boast about, but also not bad. A few approach shots were what I call rattlers. These are shots where the ball misses the sweet spot of the club face, sending vibrations along the shaft and ultimately absorbed by the hands. You know it's getting cold when rattlers become more and more common.

Finally, my putting was pretty good, as I recorded 36 in total. There were three 3-putts, which nullified a trio of 1-putts.

This was round 45 of the year and we haven't reached November yet. With any luck, I'll get out a couple more times.

Score: 95
Par: 72
Putts: 36
Fairways: 5
Greens: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment