July 05, 2019

Breaking 90 at Peninsula Lakes

Round 2 of the Deepwoods season got off to a great start with a pair of pars. A perfect drive and perfect 6-iron set up a birdie chance that just failed on Quarry 1. On the next hole, a solid mid iron and two putts accomplished the feat. It was bogeys for the rest of the front nine, except for doubles on Quarry 4 and 5. A pulled drive forced a sideways chip on the former and my third shot from 130 yards was also lacking. A messed up pitch shot took away what was a certain bogey on the latter. Overall, I was getting around fairly comfortably. My score at the turn was 44.

The back nine began with near perfection on Hillside 1. A nice drive was followed by a better gap wedge, leaving a birdie chance. The breaking putt was very well read, barely missing on the high side. Still, it was a stress-free par. Solid bogeys followed on the next two holes, a long par-3 and par-5. Unfortunately, the hardest hole on the course got me good, producing a quadruple-bogey. My drive was decent, but left a long carry over a pond to a green wedged between the water and OB. I laid up to the 150-yard stick, confident that an 8-iron over the water was a safe bet. Sadly, I thinned the ball into the water. After a penalty and drop, my next attempt was no better, hitting the bank on the other side of the water before curling back in. In retrospect, I should have tried to clear the water with my second shot. Laying up did nothing for me except add one stroke.

I wasn't angry with the result on Hillside 4, as I know it's a very challenging hole. Perhaps it was this mindset that helped me go 3-over par for the remaining five holes. Two bogeys were followed by a birdie, a par, and a double-bogey. The birdie on Hillside 7 was fantastic. A deep drive to the left fairway gave me a perfect view of this par-5. A pure 5-iron flew off the club head effortlessly. A lob wedge finished flag high, just right of the hole, and I drained  a 10-foot putt. Hillside 9 gave me a little trouble, as my drive finished right of the fairway, in amongst the trees. The hole has become a lot harder since they let the entire hillside on the left side grow out. It now plays as a red penalty area. The proper strategy may now be to sacrifice distance off the tee in order to hit the crucial fairway.

Score: 89
Putts: 33
Fairways: 5
Greens: 4
Penalties: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment