July 27, 2019

Streak Continues at Century Pines

My streak of scores under 90 extended to six consecutive rounds, thanks to a score of 88 at Century Pines Golf Club. The front nine produced a couple of pars, five bogeys, and a couple of doubles. One of the pars was on the first hole, which has given me trouble in the past. This time, I managed to avoid out of bounds, which runs along the entire left side of this par-5. After my drive found the left fairway, I took a half swing at the ball, just to advance it slightly. It was a good decision, because the ball finished in the left rough. From there, a great gap wedge finished flag high, setting up a 2-putt.

A horribly pulled drive led to double-bogey on hole 2, before I settled into a streak of bogey golf that lasted for four holes. On hole 3, a perfect drive was followed by a weak approach shot. On hole 4, a poor tee shot was followed by a well placed second and some nice putting. On hole 5, a par-3, my 9-iron off the tee found a bunker short and left. For once, I actually made a decent bunker shot, managing to find the putting surface.

Hole 6 was perhaps the most impressive of the bogeys. My drive carried over a naturalized area to the angled fairway. Since I can't shape the driver right to left, my ball went through the fairway toward hole 8. My second shot was a lovely gap wedge over some high trees to get back to the proper fairway, 40 yards in front of the green. It was the smart decision. I recognized my position and didn't try to do too much. My first priority was to get over the tall trees and I needed loft for that. A large bunker also fronts the green and I wanted no part of it. I pitched on and 2-putt, with no issue.

Hole 7 is a par-3 over water that was playing about 177 yards. I hit a silky 5-iron to the right side of the green, that finished on the upper tier. However, the hole was cut on the lower tier near the front of the green. I hit a putt to the ridge that then carried perfectly near the hole. A two foot putt earned the par. The par was followed by double-bogey on the next hole, as my second shot from the left rough suffered from a bad lie. If my third shot was a little more precise, I could have saved bogey, but it didn't happen.

Hole 9 is a par-5 that produced bogey, thanks in part to a lovely 5-iron for my second shot. My drive was mediocre, but that second shot put me back in perfect position. Amazingly, I made another decent shot from a green side bunker en route to the bogey. Kudos to Century Pines, who actually had some very nice sand in their bunkers. That hasn't always been the case in the past.

Holes 10, 11 and 12 at Century Pines are all short par-4 holes. However, you can't really hit driver off the tee without taking on some risk, in the form of trees and penalty areas. 4-iron off the tee on hole 10 was good, as was my gap wedge approach. Unfortunately, I 3-putt for bogey. 7-iron off the tee on hole 11 was weak, but safe. Unfortunately, I pulled my 8-iron approach left of the green. A pitch and two putts resulted in bogey. 7-iron off the tee on hole 12 was better, but I was still blocked out by some trees. I punched a nice low shot to the left fairway, 50 yards from the green. Another pitch and two putts produced yet another bogey. The lengthy par putt very nearly dropped though.

Holes 13, 14 and 15 produced bogey, par and birdie, respectively. The first of these is a 155-yard par-3 over water. My tee shot hooked left of the green, but I bumped my second shot into a mound, allowing the ball to release to the green. The par putt was close, but didn't drop. Hole 14 is a par-5 with a dogleg left. I did well to set up an approach from 125 yards, but pulled the gap wedge left of the green. No worries, as a lovely up and down followed for the par. That was nice, but the birdie on the next hole was better. A perfect 8-iron finished flag high on this par-3, setting up a 10-foot putt that curled cooperatively into the hole.

Hole 16 is the hardest on the course, in my opinion. If your tee shot is not deep and perfectly placed, you're resigned to playing this par-4 as a par-5. My tee shot found the fairway, but I was too far back and left to go for the green. I pitched the ball 50 yards ahead to the end of the fairway, then attacked the green with a gap wedge. A lengthy lag putt was followed by a 2-footer for bogey.

Hole 17 is a difficult hole as well, owing to its length and dogleg left. At 440 yards, it's a challenging par-4. My drive nestled beneath a spruce tree on the inside corner of the dogleg. I had no option but to declare the ball unplayable and take a penalty. The worst part is I still couldn't reach the green after taking my drop. I hit a nice 4-iron to the middle of the fairway, then pitched on and 2-putt for double-bogey.

The final hole is a par-5 that resulted in bogey. Hey, a final score of 88? I'll take it!

Score: 88
Putts: 35
Fairways: 4
Greens: 4
Penalties: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment