September 12, 2019

Another Decent Result at Scenic Woods

I headed out to Scenic Woods, where I've had quite a bit of success in the past. My front nine was good, despite making double-bogey on the opening par-5. This is a wide open hole and totally flat, so the start was somewhat disappointing. I simply hit a number of bad shots in succession, all from the left rough, after beginning with a very serviceable drive.

I made par on four of the next five holes, so I got on track very quickly. Key to the streak was hitting good irons  to reach the greens in regulation. Wedges did the trick on holes 2 and 4, while a 9-iron got me safely to the putting surface on hole 6. Though I didn't get a GIR on hole 5, I hit a great 5-iron to just in front of the green, which set up a perfect chip and putt.

I closed out the front nine with three bogeys for a score of 42. A couple of these holes are par-3 designs. I hit a good tee shot on each, but barely missed the greens. My subsequent chips were mediocre, so I was unable to get up and down. The other hole is a short par-4. I failed to get my second shot close and went on to 3-putt.

The back nine wasn't nearly as consistent. Once again, I began with double-bogey on a par-5. Hole 10 always seems to play into a headwind, making the tee shot very uncomfortable. I sliced my drive well right, leading to a lost ball and penalty stroke. I hit some good shots on the remainder of the hole, but the damage was done.

I averaged bogey golf over the next four holes, with two actual bogeys accompanied by a par and a double-bogey. The bogey on hole 11 was a good result after a poor tee shot that I pushed to the right. The bogey on hole 12 was a bad result after it ended with a 3-putt. The par came on hole 14, a short par-4, after a couple of iron shots lead me safely to the green.

The last four holes were a bit disappointing, mostly because I collected a penalty stroke on three of them. I pulled my drive into a penalty area on hole 15, leading to double-bogey. I failed to carry a creek with my second shot on hole 17. Once again, double-bogey was the result. I tried to reach hole 18, a par-5, in two shots, but my second was a miss hit that landed in a pond. After a penalty stroke, I dropped at the same location and nailed the green with a 5-wood from 220 yards. That great shot and a 2-putt saved bogey.

I just missed breaking 90 for the second time in a row, but I can't really be disappointed.

Score: 91
Putts: 37
Fairways: 4
Greens: 6
Penalties: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment