September 28, 2019

Bogey Golf at Osprey Valley Hoot

I had a nice round on the Hoot course at Osprey Valley. Were it not for a tiny blemish on the front nine and a massive one on the back nine, this would have produced a score in the mid eighties. As such, I finished with a score of 90 even, or perfect bogey golf.

The small blemish on the front nine came on the very first hole, a par-5. I hit a weak drive off the heel of the club, followed by two iron shots that were topped slightly and went nowhere. My fourth shot was a 5-iron from 180 yards that I finally struck well, though the ball stopped just in front of the green. A pitch and two putts finished things off for a double-bogey.

The rest of the front nine was smooth sailing, as I collected a couple of pars and six bogeys. The first of the pars was on hole 6, a par-5 that is reachable with two good shots. I hit an excellent drive over the waste bunker on the right side, setting up a 5-iron approach from 180 yards. I pushed it ever so slightly, catching a slope on the first bounce that pushed the ball right into some rough. I chipped on from there, but failed to make the birdie putt, settling for the par.

The second par was on hole 8, a 166-yard par-3. I hit a buttery 7-iron that flew over a deep bunker protecting the front right of the green and took its first bounce flag high, just six feet from the hole. The ball released forward however, so I had a longer putt than that for birdie. I didn't make it, but I'll take a tap-in par every time.

Notable shots on the remaining holes included my drives on holes 3 and 9. The first of these was a blast over another waste bunker that travelled nice and deep to the centre of the fairway. The latter was much the same, splitting the pine forest to find the centre fairway. I hit a nice 6-iron off the elevated tee on hole 4, a par-3, and a lovely 4-iron into the green on hole 5, a long par-4. My score after nine holes was 44.

Now for the huge and only blemish on the back nine. It came on unlucky number 13, a par-5. All the danger on this hole is near the green. The fairway wraps around a huge pond, often forcing you to carry the water on your approach shot. The tee shot features no real danger at all. Nevertheless, I smothered my drive left into the woods. The fairway is massive, so there's really no excuse for that. I took a penalty and hit my third to the 150 yard stick. Next, I dunked one in the pond. After another penalty, I hit my sixth over the back of the green into more woods. Forced to take my third penalty of the hole, I chipped my eighth shot onto the green. I then 2-putt for a score of 10. Unreal!

That nonsense aside, the back nine was great, featuring three pars and five bogeys. The first of the pars was on hole 12. I hit driver, sand wedge into this par-4, followed by a lag putt and tap-in. The next par was on hole 15, a par-3 that's all carry over a massive waste bunker. An 8-iron set up a birdie putt at the back hole location, but I just missed and then tapped in for the par. The last par was on hole 17 – the waterfall hole. Everybody loves Hoot, but some people don't care much for the waterfall. I quite like it. I hit 5-wood, 9-iron into the green and had a very good chance at birdie. Unfortunately, I just missed the hole on the low side. That's okay, par is fine.

Other notable shots included my driver, 4-iron combo to begin hole 11, a par-5. I played through another single on this hole. He reasoned that I should play through, rather than join up, as I was “much better than him and that he would just slow me down.” LOL, I won't argue. It wasn't exactly the truth, but after witnessing those two shots of mine, I don't blame him for thinking that. I hit another beautiful drive on hole 14, and a slick up and down near the green on hole 16. A final score of 90 ain't bad, I'll take it.

Score: 90
Putts: 34
Fairways: 9
Greens: 5
Penalties: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment