September 11, 2019

First Crack at Caledon Woods

It was nearly four weeks since my last round of golf, in part due to some poor weather in the Toronto region, but mostly because I traveled to Europe for a couple of weeks. About 36 hours after returning home, I played in a Deepwoods event at Caledon Woods Golf Club. I had broken 90 in nine of my previous ten rounds, but I worried  how the time off might affect my game. I had also never played Caledon Woods before.

It turns out I had nothing to worry about. I didn't score in the eighties, as I shot 90 even, but I had the best point tally among Deepwoods members, and by a healthy margin. In fact, I moved into first place in the season long standings. I began with a pair of double-bogeys, thanks to a drive that was hit fat, a couple of imprecise wedge shots, and a 3-putt. I improved to 4-over through the next four holes, including a par, two bogeys, and a double. The par, on hole 4, came after a 5-iron, sand wedge combination left me within 8 feet of the hole.

I finished the front nine with a trio of pars. The 5-iron, sand wedge combo worked its magic again on hole 7, a short par-4. A lengthy lag putt was followed by an easy tap-in. Hole 8 is a 496 yard par-5 that began with a perfect drive to the right fairway. A laser like 4-iron carried me to an area of fairway right of the green. Finally, a 50-yard pitch and two putts sealed the deal. Hole 9 is a fairly lengthy par-4 at 417 yards, but par was once again the result as my confidence grew.

The back nine began with a triple-bogey on a par-5, and that was with a chip-in from off the green! The hole had a promising start, with a nice drive to the left side of the fairway. Unfortunately, I then thinned an 8-iron into a creek up ahead. This produced my only penalty stroke of the day. Another shot landed in a bunker with a high lip. I was forced to splash out, rather than go for the green. Just before the chip-in, a pitch shot rolled off the back of the green. Everything just seemed to go wrong at once.

Perhaps the chip-in gave me hope, as I seemingly shook off the bad hole and immediately started playing well again. I played at bogey pace over the remaining eight holes, with two actual bogeys and three pars that offset three double-bogeys. Two of the pars were on holes 11 and 13, which are both par-3 designs. One required an up and down from just off the green, while the other was a conventional green in regulation and 2-putt. Two of the double-bogeys were on holes 14 and 15. Both holes featured great shots, with one bad shot that spoiled the fun. On 14, it was a thinned second shot that settled in a fairway bunker with a high lip. On 15, it was a duffed pitch shot over a creek fronting the green.

I very nearly broke 90 again. That's okay, I'm still pleased.

Score: 90
Putts: 34
Fairways: 10
Greens: 6
Penalties: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment