July 02, 2009

Blaming The Rain at Peninsula Lakes

The second round of the Deepwoods Golf Asociation championship took place on a rainy Sunday at Peninsula Lakes Golf Club. Prior to the round, I spent some time on the driving range reinforcing the things I had been working on recently. My irons in particular were working wonderfully. By the time I teed off on Quarry #1, the rain started to fall. It was a struggle keeping grips dry on the first three or four holes. The third hole was the worst, as my club slipped in my hands on the first two shot attempts. After four holes the rain stopped and we played in dry conditions the rest of the way.

The Quarry nine passed without incident, except for a triple-bogey on hole #7, a par-5 stretching 525 yards from the white tees. I hit a bad tee shot and was forced to chip out of some vegetation to get back near the fairway. The rest of the Quarry nine consisted of bogeys and double-bogeys. I wasn't playing terribly, but was off my game just enough to amass too many doubles. A couple of drives missed the mark, as did a few chip shots and a couple of putts. Mind you, I hit some good approach irons and made some putts as well. It all added up to a score of 51 at the turn.

On the Hillside nine, I played quite a bit better. Again, there was a lone triple-bogey on hole #6, a medium length par-3. Hitting 7-iron off the tee, the ball travelled flag-high, but drifted right into a greenside bunker. It took two shots to get out and then I pulled off the dreaded 3-putt. Aside from that, I collected two pars, four bogeys and two double-bogeys. Stretches like these make me feel like I should average bogey golf quite comfortably.

One of the pars came on Hillside #4, rated the most difficult hole on the course. A par-4 measuring 396 yards from the white tees, players must hit a straight drive to avoid ponds both left and right of the fairway. The ideal drive is 250 yards, leaving a 150-yard approach over water to a green protected on the right by more water and on the left by out of bounds. My drive was perfect, coming to rest directly beside the 150-yard marker. My approach was straight but fat, coming up short of the green but safely over the water. From there, I hit a little bump and run, leaving a putt of about five feet for par, which I drained calmly. It was a well earned par.

Overall, I ended up with a score of 98, which is okay but not great. Unfortunately, I didn't score a lot of points in the modified Stableford system used by Deepwoods. As a result, I have my work cut out for me at the next Deepwoods event, which will be played at Dragon's Fire Golf Club in about a month or so.

Score: 98
Par: 71
Putts: 36
Fairways: 3
Greens: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment