July 04, 2009

Solid Round at Deer Creek

I usually approach a round at Deer Creek Golf Club with some anticipation, since it is the site of my lowest golf round ever - a 10-over-par 81 registered a couple of years ago. If not for a pointless triple-bogey on the very last hole, that score could easily have been a 79.

My latest visit began in horrific fashion. Teeing off on Sapphire #1, I took a very tentative swing which sent the ball to the trees right of the fairway. That one was lost for sure. After re-teeing, I over-compensated far too much and sent the ball into the trees left of the fairway. After getting the ball back close to the fairway, I had a medium-sized tree between me and the green. I hit an 8-iron flush, but it smacked the very top of the tree trunk. Unfortunately, I did not see where the ball went. Another lost ball meant another penalty stroke. My next attempt made it to the front of the green, where I was able to chip and 1-putt for a score of 9. Yikes! How does one clear his mind after a start like this?

A good way to start is to make a birdie on the next hole. I hit a good 3-wood off the tee, followed by an equally good 6-iron. I followed that up with a perfect putt of about 13 feet. Par would have been a good result on hole #3, but because I hit my first tee shot out-of-bounds, double-bogey was the result. Still, I made a very good approach shot of about 60 yards, followed by a putt from about five feet. I've had success in the past on hole #4, a short par-3 measuring 137 yards over water. This time, I had the club face way too open on my tee shot, sending the ball right of the water. On the subsequent pitch shot, I failed to carry the water by about two yards. It ended up as a triple-bogey, which effectively nullified the birdie a couple holes earlier. How does one get back on a roll after a roller-coaster ride like this?

One way is to make a solid bogey, followed by a brilliant birdie. At 473 yards in length, hole #6 is a shot-maker's par-5. Players must hit a straight tee shot, no longer than about 200 yards, in order to set up a second shot that angles almost 90 degrees in a different direction. The second shot is over a creek, ideally to the 100 yard marker. From there, players can attack the green with a wedge, flying over the creek once more as it loops back in front of the putting surface. I executed all the shots, leaving a 15-foot putt which I also drained.

I closed out the front nine with a triple-bogey, bogey and par, for a score of 49 at the turn. It was an up and down nine holes for sure.

The Emerald nine was a completely different experience, as I seemed to settle down and played very consistently. I tallied two pars, six bogeys, and one triple-bogey. The triple was the result of an errant tee shot and the associated penalty stroke. After re-teeing, I effectively scored bogey on the hole.

This round was similar to the last round at Hidden Lake in many ways. My driver was extremely unpredictable, but the rest of my game was great. Full irons were struck well, and I didn't make any mistakes chipping. Putting was also pretty good.

If I could get my driver back in check and gain some confidence, I feel like I can break 90. My next round is a GTA Amateur Tour event at Angus Glen South - that would be a great place to do it!

Score: 93
Par: 71
Putts: 35
Fairways: 4
Greens: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment