August 07, 2006

Coming Up Dry at Indian Wells

On the heels of a soggy round at Guelph Lakes, I ventured out to play at Indian Wells Golf Club, located at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment in Burlington, Ontario. Once again, weather was a factor, but this time conditions were dry and hot. I know these are the dog days of summer, but this day was a real pooch!

As hot as it was, my driver was even hotter. I hit a blistering ten of fourteen fairways, shattering the season's previous high of seven. I narrowed my stance ever so slightly and lightened my grip just a smidge, in order to prevent over-swinging. Lately, I had been putting a little extra mustard on my drives and the results were not so good.

With so many fairways hit, you might figure that I also hit my fair share of greens in regulation. Well, if that's what you think, you don't really know me or my golf game. You see, I hit a grand total of zero greens in regulation. It was as though all of my approach shots were repelled by some invisible force surrounding the greens.

To make matters worse, my chipping and putting were atrocious. Not a single chip shot landed in the vicinity of the pin. Some were short, others were long. By the end of the day, I had amassed 43 putts, tying my worst putting round of the season. In one stretch of eight holes, I managed seven three-putts.

During that stretch, I also allowed frustration to creep into my game. For the most part, I've managed to keep my emotions in check this year, even through some really horrible rounds. The good news is that I regained my composure over the last five holes. The last thing a golfer wants is for that negative energy to carry over into the next round.

Score: 107
Par: 71
Putts: 43
Fairways: 10
Greens: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment