August 16, 2006

Kedron Dells a Real Nemesis

For some reason, Oshawa's Kedron Dells Golf Club has been a nemesis of mine over the last couple of years. No matter what I do, it seems I always walk off the eighteenth green with a disappointing score. Sometimes I fail to drive the ball adequately, while other times I struggle with chipping or putting. At times, the trees cause severe difficulty, while other times water is the problem.

Anxious to reverse this trend, I returned to Kedron Dells recently for the third time this year. After my previous visit, which produced a score of 107, I felt like I was on the verge of figuring the course out. Unfortunately, that was not the case. Five double-bogeys and four bogeys on the front nine were respectable, but horrible play on the tenth hole precipitated a collapse from which I could not recover. The final result was another score of 107.

When things went bad, it usually started with an errant or mised tee shot. A perfect example occurred on the twelfth hole, a 197-yard par-3. I teed off with a 3-wood, but topped the ball, which dribbled into the trees just left of the tee box. From there, I proceeded to hit the ball to the base of two more trees. After four shots, I was finally in the fairway, just short of the green. A chip and two putts later, I was shaking my head in disbelief at a quadruple-bogey.

There were moments of brilliance however, even amidst the collapse on the back nine. On the thirteenth hole, a 419-yard par-4, I hit a nice drive to the middle of the fairway and a fantastic 3-wood to just in front of the green. After a nice chip shot and a single putt, I holed out with a par. On the eighteenth hole, a 143-yard par-3, I hit a 6-iron flag-high to the back of the long green. I nailed the remaining 5-foot putt for birdie, only my fifth of the season.

Believe it or not, this was my best putting round of the season! I read the greens well and my putting weight was accurate all day, producing a mere 30 putts for the round.

Score: 107
Par: 71
Putts: 30
Fairways: 7
Greens: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment