August 08, 2006

Great Golf Weekend - Part One

The long weekend is over and what a weekend it was for golf! Three rounds played brings my total for the season to twenty-four. At this pace, I may reach or surpass forty rounds by the time November rolls around and the season is all but done.

Round 22 was played on Saturday at Grey Silo Golf Course, the site of a visit earlier this year. Getting to the course proved to be problematic, as I was delayed first by road closures related to Toronto's Caribana parade, then by a couple of accidents on Highway 401. The second, involving an overturned tractor trailer, looked especially nasty.

Perhaps the prolonged trip affected my game, as I got off to a very poor start. The first five holes included three lost balls, a triple-bogey, quadruple-bogey, and quintuple-bogey. The "quint" came on the very first hole, thanks to some comedic chipping and putting that would make The Three Stooges proud.

It is impossible to produce a good score with that kind of start, so I really tried to focus on each individual hole thereafter. For the most part, I had decent results. From the tenth hole onward, I did not miss a single fairway with my tee shots. Hitting eight consecutive fairways brought my total in that category to nine for the day.

The only real blemish on the last two-thirds of the round came on the sixteenth hole, a 159-yard par-3, guarded on the right by water. After my tee shot went for a swim, I began another chipping and putting Stoogefest that ended with another quintuple-bogey.

Score: 106
Par: 71
Putts: 40
Fairways: 9
Greens: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment