August 09, 2006

Great Golf Weekend - Part Two

Round 23 was another return visit to a golf course, this time the familiar grounds of Hornby Glen Golf Course, where I played my second round of the season back in April. Looking back at my post for that early round, it appears woeful putting was largely responsible for a score of 103. Putting was once again a key factor, but this time it was very good and it led to a score of 88, a new personal best!

I had 32 putts for the entire round and did not three-putt any of the holes. One of the major reasons for this was my chipping. I did not skull a single chip shot, nor did I flub any. On every chip shot, I struck the ball cleanly, landing safely on the green. I wasn't right beside the pin on every occasion, but I was always close enough to hole out easily with no more than two putts. Excellent control of my putting distance also helped.

The rest of my game was not spectacular, but it was consistent. I only reached two greens in regulation, a 160-yard par-3 and a 385-yard par-4. The latter was the eighth hole, which is ranked most difficult according to the handicap index. After a 200-yard drive stopped midway up a sloped fairway, I hit a beautiful 3-wood right on to the green. The birdie putt missed, but it was one of seven pars made on the day. Generally speaking, the driver and irons were working well.

Above all, I was in the right frame of mind from start to finish. It is amazing what can happen when you feel relaxed and have some confidence.

Score: 88
Par: 72
Putts: 32
Fairways: 8
Greens: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment