August 29, 2006

Finishing Strong at Glen Cedars

Fresh off some time at the practice green and driving range, I ventured out to Glen Cedars Golf Club, a charming course located in Claremont, Ontario. The course lies just outside Toronto, but it feels like a distant country retreat. Even the occasional train running alongside the eighteenth fairway is not enough to spoil the course's relaxed atmosphere.

The weather was overcast, but I managed to play the round with nary a hint of rain. Heat and humidity produced rather muggy conditions, but there was no wind to speak of. All of this suited me just fine, as I put together a very satisfying final score of 91, my third-lowest ever!

I shot 50 on the front nine holes, primarily via bogeys and double-bogeys. There was a triple-bogey on the fifth hole, a 128-yard par-3, which I made up for with a nice par on the second hole, a 323-yard par-4. On this dogleg right, golfers must drive the ball between 220 and 260 yards, in order to leave a good angle to the green. My drive was well placed and a subsequent 9-iron landed safely on the dance floor. Two putts later, par was the result.

The real story happened on the back nine holes, where I shot 41 thanks to a trio of birdies. On the tenth hole, a 460-yard par-5, I hit a decent drive just left of the fairway. Unfortunately, my second shot crossed the fairway entirely, landing under a tree on the right side of the fairway. My next shot was probably the best of the day. 100 yards away from the hole, I needed to thread a shot through a narrow opening between a bunker on the left and a cluster of trees on the right. I could not take an aerial route because of the tree I was underneath. With a half-swing, I punched a 3-iron through the gap and the ball settled about eight feet from the hole. After a terrific putt, I walked away with a birdie in hand.

The next birdie occurred on the fifteenth hole, a 310-yard par-4. This is a dogleg left, with golfers teeing off from a severely elevated tee box surrounded by woods. An easy 5-iron put me safely in the fairway, 130 yards away from the hole. Unfortunately, my second shot drifted right and settled about fifteen feet from the edge of the green. Next, I made a beautiful chip shot, landing the ball on the edge of the green and rolling it directly into the cup!

The third and final birdie came on the eighteenth hole, a 464-yard par-5. My tee shot was straight, but it popped into the air and travelled a mere 150 yards. A fabulous second shot got me back on track, when I struck a 3-wood solidly. I was left with 90 yards to the flag, which was located at the front of the green. I put the ball to within eight feet, then proceeded to hole out with a single putt.

I could get used to this.

Score: 91
Par: 72
Putts: 33
Fairways: 7
Greens: 5

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:52 pm

    WOW - 3 birdies in one round...

    COngrats!

    ReplyDelete