August 13, 2006

Private Affair at Carrying Place

After The Great Golf Weekend, I managed to stay off the links for two days before returning for a much anticipated round at Carrying Place Golf and Country Club. Carrying Place is a private club located in Kettleby, Ontario, just a stone's throw away from Cardinal Golf Club, where I had an encouraging round earlier this year. My opportunity to indulge in the rarefied air of a private club came thanks to a work buddy that happens to be a member.

We played the back nine first, followed by the front nine. The first two holes felt a little rushed, but things got better when we allowed a twosome behind us to play through. From that point on, I played a rather steady game, shooting bogeys and double-bogeys with a few pars sprinkled here and there.

I enjoyed some success on par-3 holes, including the 122-yard thirteenth, and the 150-yard sixteenth. In both cases, an accurate short iron off the tee got me to the green in regulation. The only par-3 hole I played poorly was the 190-yard fifth. To be successful, players must carry almost the entire distance over water. Though my tee shot cleared the water, it hit a steep embankment and rolled back into some reeds by the water's edge. I was forced to take a penalty stroke en route to a double-bogey.

For the third round in a row, my putting was very consistent. A single 3-putt was the only blemish on my putting score, which totalled 33 after eighteen holes. Chipping in from off the green on the first hole also helped the cause. Unfortunately, my driver was not working as well as my putter. I hit only two fairways on the day, but that might be misleading, since some of the misses landed just feet from the fairway's edge and presented no problems on subsequent shots.

All in all, this was a very enjoyable round with a decent sub-100 result.

Score: 98
Par: 70
Putts: 33
Fairways: 2
Greens: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment