August 14, 2006

Mediocre Results at Lowville

Golf rounds continue to pile up quickly, most recently with a trip to Lowville Golf Club, located in Burlington, Ontario. The terrain of this 18-hole course is dominated by the Niagara Escarpment, making for interesting elevation changes and some pretty vistas. In autumn, when the leaves change colour, I am told it is quite a treat.

The course is somewhat unusual in that it includes five par-5 holes and five par-3 holes. Three of each appear on the front nine, creating a refreshing sense of diversity. Varying hole lengths demand that golfers hit all the clubs in their bags. From the tees alone, golfers might use anything from a pitching wedge to a driver.

Were it not for bad tee shots on a couple of par-3 holes, I would have had a very solid front nine. One of those tee shots, coming off a 4-iron, ended up lost in the fescue. The other, coming off a pitching wedge, landed deep in a bunker. The quadruple-bogey and triple-bogey that ensued, effectively ruined the other seven holes, for which I averaged bogey.

I still had a chance to break 100 if I came up with some good play on the back nine, but two more troubling holes pushed my total score to 103. As I stated earlier this year, anything over 100 has to be considered a failure. My only solace is the fact that I continued to putt the ball very well, limiting myself to 33 putts. That makes four consecutive rounds of strong play on the greens.

If only I could reach those greens economically...

Score: 103
Par: 72
Putts: 33
Fairways: 5
Greens: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment