June 19, 2019

A Mystic Beginning

Not a bad start to the season, as I headed out to Mystic Golf Club. After over six months without swinging a club, it's not unusual to start the season with a score over 100. I kept my score below that at a pretty tough course, so I'm satisfied. The round began with some difficulty, but I got better as the day went on. I was 11 over through the first six holes, including a pair of triple-bogeys. Over the middle six, I improved to 8 over par. For the last six holes, I was 5 over.

Highlights included pars on holes 2, 11, 14, and 17. The last three came on a par-3, par-4, and par-5, respectively, which was a good mix. Not surprisingly, the key to making pars was a good approach shot. Pitching wedge was excellent off the tee on hole 11, setting up a birdie chance that I just missed. A 9-iron from the right rough was even better on hole 14. That shot put me in a good frame of mind for hole 15, a 150-yard par-3. The pin was at the back of the green and I hit a laser 8-iron directly at the flag. This was followed by a 12-foot uphill putt for a satisfying birdie.

Score: 97
Putts: 37
Fairways: 2
Greens: 4
Penalties: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment