June 21, 2019

Delightful at Doon Valley

I first played Doon Valley last year, making a total of three visits, and recording scores of 90, 93 and 91. I returned recently and shattered those results with a final score of 84. Mind you, I played from the white tees this time, which are 450 yards shorter than the blues. It was by accident, as I mistakenly read the yardage from my scorecard at the start of the round. Nevertheless, I still made good shots throughout the day, so I'm pleased.

The front nine produced seven consecutive bogeys, sandwiched between a couple of pars on holes 1 and 9. As ever, the pars came thanks to some precise approach shots. On hole 1, I attacked with sand wedge from the left rough, while on hole 9, I challenged the rear pin location with an 8-iron from the middle fairway. Approach shots are probably the most fun in golf, provided you're actually challenging the greens. On the bogey holes, I just missed the greens, usually chipping on and then 2-putting. It would be nice to get up and down on some of those.

The bogey train continued for the first four holes of the back nine, until a double-bogey on hole 14, a dogleg right par-4. My second shot was pushed right into the woods on the corner of the dogleg. Though I found my ball, I burned a shot just to get out of the trees. From there, it was a strong finish, as I closed the day out going par, par, birdie, and par. The key to success? Four consecutive greens in regulation. The birdie on hole 17 came after what felt like a missed 7-iron off the tee on this par-3. I thinned the ball, but it rolled right up to within 10 feet of the cup.

Score: 84
Putts: 33
Fairways: 7
Greens: 6
Penalties: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment