June 22, 2019

Raging at King's Forest

I like King's Forest, but it's turning into a real nemesis for me. Specifically, I'm referring to holes 11, 12 and 13, which seem to kill otherwise good rounds for me, every single time. Through the first ten holes, I was 12 over par. That's not great, by any means, but it's good enough to keep me focused and engaged in the game. I made just a single par, on hole 6, but I sprinkled good shots in throughout and limited any damage that occurred.

Then on hole 11, I pulled my tee shot into the trees left. Penalty stroke. My third shot was a sideways pitch that didn't even reach the fairway. My fourth was a well struck ball that barely clipped the top of an interfering tree. But where did the ball go? I had no clue. Penalty stroke. My sixth made it to the left of the green. I chipped on and 2-putt for a score of 9. A quintuple bogey! Round ruined.

Hole 12 usually goes wrong right off the tee, but I actually hit a laser to the centre of the narrow fairway. Because it's a dogleg, I still could not go for the green of this par-4 with my second shot, so I just advanced the ball, leaving about a 70 yard shot into the green for my third. It's actually the smart play, but then I came up short, requiring a pitch and 2 putts to take double-bogey. A bit better than the previous hole, but not exactly inspiring.

Finally, there was hole 13. If you don't draw the ball as a a right handed player, you're screwed. You're either driving the ball into the right fescue and trees, or you're laying well back. I laid back, leaving 210 yards to the green, over the river. 5-wood failed me, flaring to the right and clanking off the iron bridge over the water. Penalty stroke. My fourth shot was short and left of the green. I found the green with my fifth and 2-putt for triple-bogey.

Cue the rage to begin at this point. The same section of the course gets me every bloody time! You can't play well when you're raging, so my round was basically over. I made par and a couple of bogeys over the final few holes, but also a double-bogey and a triple on the final hole. I didn't feel like grinding just to save a score of 98 or 99, so I surpassed the century mark. Who cares? Whether you shoot 98 or 101, they both suck.

Score: 101
Putts: 38
Fairways: 7
Greens: 3
Penalties: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment