June 24, 2019

Late Fade at Copetown Woods

It was the first round of the Deepwoods season at Copetown Woods. I started reasonably well, with three pars on the front nine and a score of 43 at at the turn. The first par was on hole 3, as a perfect 5-wood, 6-iron combination left me just above the hole. The second par was on the very next hole, a short par-3. My pitching wedge off the tee finished flag high. The third par was on hole 7, another par-3. I had birdie looks on all of these, with the first two being the best opportunities.

The back nine started well, including par on hole 11, a long par-3. A beautiful 4-iron found the green, setting up a birdie look. Unfortunately, I started leaking oil on holes 12 through 14, with a trio of double-bogeys. Approaches that just missed the greens were followed by either a poor bunker shot, suspect chip, or 3-putt. A par on hole 15 stopped some of the bleeding, but I wasn't headed for the desired Deepwoods point total. A simple bogey on the final hole would have earned a 34-point total, which is not shabby. Instead, I carded my only triple-bogey of the day and had to settle for 32 points.

Score: 93
Putts: 38
Fairways: 8
Greens: 4
Penalties: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment