June 16, 2010

Almost a Legend at Sleepy Hollow

In The Legend of Sleppy Hollow, the short story by American Washington Irving, bumbling schoolmaster Ichabod Crane vies for the hand of the lovely Katrina Van Tassel. A midnight encounter with the Headless Horseman, thought to be another of Katrina's suitors in disguise, ultimately drives Crane out of town empty-handed.

My first GTA Amateur Tour event of the season unfolded like this classic tale in many ways. To begin with, it took place at the appropriately named Sleepy Hollow Country Club, a private club located in Stouffville, Ontario. I played the role of Ichabod Crane, but it was a championship I was pursuing, rather than a young lady. Other suitors for the title were many. I guess you could describe them as a veritable gang of headless horsemen.

On the opening hole, a par-4, I was just off the green after two shots. I completely duffed a chip attempt and then took three putts to register a triple-bogey. It was my only triple of the day, but the failed chip shot is one I would come to regret at the end of the day.

My play was a little choppy over the next four holes, but I managed to avoid another blowout. I just missed a birdie putt on hole #19, a short par-3, which we played as the second hole because #10 was closed for maintenance. Hole #3, a long par-3, also produced a decent result. Unfortunately, holes #2 and #4, which are both par-5 holes, were not so great. A couple of mis-hits on each led to a pair of double-bogeys.

Over the final thirteen holes, I played much more consistently. I was able to control the driver, while hitting good irons, chip shots and putts. Irons off the tee were especially good, setting me up well on par-3 holes and a short par-4. For the final thirteen holes I was ten over par, finishing with a total score of 89, my best of the year.

As I turned in my scorecard, I learned that I was in a four way tie for first place. I immediately thought of the duffed chip shot on the very first hole of the day. The four competitors who finished tied proceeded to a sudden death playoff. I was one of two players eliminated after the first playoff hole, when a 3-putt ruined my chance at victory. I had to settle for second place, earned on the basis of having the best back nine score among the runners-up.

Score: 89
Putts: 34
Fairways: 4
Greens: 4
Penalties: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment