June 16, 2010

Coming Around at Glen Cedars

I hadn't played Glen Cedars in a couple of years, so I was looking forward to it. Bad tee shots early in the round forced me to scramble often, but I didn't let the score get out of hand. Bad shots were usually followed by good ones, keeping me in the game.

A birdie on hole #7 was the turning point. A huge drive left me just 160 yards from the green on this par-5, albeit from the opposite fairway. My 8-iron had to clear some tall trees to reach the green and it just failed to do so. From 90 yards, I had the same trees to clear and this time did so with a beautiful 60 degree wedge shot. The ball stopped six feet in front of the pin and I easily drained the putt.

I was 8 over par for the last 12 holes, including that birdie and five pars. I still had a couple of bad drives, but the good ones were beginning to appear. Most of all, I felt very comfortable with short irons, such as 7-iron and above. I hit some very pure approach shots, which felt good. Putting was just average.

Score: 92
Putts: 36
Fairways: 4
Greens: 5
Penalties: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment