June 16, 2010

Strong Finish Saves Round at Copetown Woods

Mother Nature turned up the heat for the opening round of the Deepwoods 2010 Tour at Copetown Woods. After a solid opening drive, I fumbled my way to a regretable triple bogey on hole #10, a short par-5.

A good drive was also wasted on hole #14, a par-5 measuring 469 yards. With just 195 yards to the flag on my second shot, I pulled my trusty 4-iron from the bag. Unfortunately, it was no match for the rough where my ball lay, a mere yard from the edge of the fairway. The ball bounced into a waste bunker and settled in a nasty crater. When all was said and done, I registered another triple-bogey.

Thankfully, it wasn't all bad. On hole #12, a dog-leg par-4 measuring 294 yards, I drove the ball to the centre of the fairway, leaving just 50 yards to the flag. After a well-executed bump and run, I drained a 10-foot putt for only my second birdie of the season. I closed out the first nine holes with a trio of bogeys and a satisfying par on a short par-3.

To salvage a good round, I needed to play well over the last nine holes. I did exactly that, piling up five pars, two bogeys and two double-bogeys. On hole #1, a par-5, I was at the front of the green after two shots. An excellent chip left a legitimate chance at birdie, but my attempt burned the edge of the cup. The double-bogeys came back-to-back on the next two holes.

A streak of steady golf over the last six holes really saved my bacon. I was not driving the ball particularly well, but I maintained control and took up the slack with good iron play and strong putting. If not for a 3-putt on hole #5 and a burned edge putt on hole #18, I would have finished the round with six consecutive pars.

Score: 89
Putts: 37
Fairways: 4
Greens: 6
Penalties: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment