June 16, 2010

Nauseous in Willow Valley Heat

I've had golf rounds cut short due to rain, but never due to illness. I've felt terrible during a few rounds, but always found a way to finish eighteen holes. I can't say the same for my recent round at Willow Valley Golf Club.

The day was not particularly hot, but it was extremely humid. I teed off late in the afternoon, joining up with with a very nice lady and two gentlemen. The company was fine, but I only managed 11 holes before calling it quits.

My tee shot on hole #1 was a complete mis-hit. I have been struggling badly with my fairway woods, whether hitting off the tee or otherwise. This was a 5-wood that I topped left of the teeing area into a fescue-covered hillside. It took a few hacks to get out, leading to a triple-bogey.

It was too early to get upset over a bad hole, so I focused on each hole as I played it and on each individual shot. On hole #2, I hit a great approach shot, but it trickled off the back of the green, setting up a tricky downhill chip. The approach on hole # 3 was better, setting up a par. I struck another great approach on the ensuing par-3, but followed with a 3-putt for bogey.

On hole #5, I employed a different strategy than I normally do. This par-4, which measures 360 yards, is a sharp dogleg, with out of bounds along the entire left side and a pond along the entire right side. I usually try to hit a straight, low-iron about 190-200 yards, setting up a 150-160 yard approach to the green. This time, I decided to cut the corner with my driver, which involves carrying the water. The shot came off perfectly, leaving just 100 yards to the green. I placed the approach shot on the green and 2-putt for par. Nice!

The round continued this way until about the ninth hole. I made a sand save for par on hole #8, so I was feeling good, even if the humidity was already getting to me. I had trouble with my approach from 100 yards, finding a large bunker in front of the green. I struggled getting out, leading to a triple bogey. Still, my score at the turn was 47, which isn't bad.

At this point, I was really battling the heat and humidity. I made a pit-stop at the clubhouse, where I doused myself with cool water and replenished the water I had for drinking. I also got started eating a granola bar that I had brought with me. By the time I reached the tenth green, I was hurting bad. I quickly putted out, then walked to the side of the green because I was suddenly feeling nauseous. I threw up almost immediately, but it was a painful, dry heave.

I decided to try playing on, just to see if I would begin feeling better. I had another dry heaving incident on the side of the eleventh fairway. After hitting a tee shot on hole #12, I still wasn't feeling better. The prospect of another hour and a half in the heat and humidity wasn't very appealing, so I called it quits and walked off the course.

Score: 47 (9 holes)
Putts: 21
Fairways: 3
Greens: 3
Penalties: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment