June 16, 2010

Successful Debut at Eagle's Nest

Owing to its stratospheric green fees, I had never played at Eagle's Nest Golf Club, though I had always heard good things about the course. On a wet weekend in May, I finally had a chance to play the Doug Carrick designed course in Maple, Ontario.

The front nine began and ended with textbook pars on a couple of par-5 holes. In each case, I hit the fairway with my tee shot, advanced the ball with a mid-iron, hit the green with a short iron, and two-putt to hole out. It makes for a boring story, but a very satisfying experience.

Between those two holes, I registered four bogeys, two doubles, and one triple. For the most part, I was hitting the ball decently. A fairway bunker on hole #2 was the cause of the triple, while an uneven fairway lie on hole #6 and a poor pitch shot on hole #7 produced the doubles.

The back nine got off to a rough start on hole #10, a par-4 measuring 383 yards. After hitting the fairway off the tee, I flared my approach shot into a massive waste bunker right of the green. I had trouble getting out, leading to a score of eight. Luckily, I bounced right back on the next hole, hitting a great approach shot to set up par.

This was followed by a pair of bogeys and two more pars, in a stretch of well controlled golf. Unfortunately, the stretch was cut short by a hazard lining the right side of hole #16. My second shot was in there and I had trouble getting out cleanly. Triple bogey ensued.

Overall, I was pleased with a score of 95 on a tough track I had never played before.

Score: 95
Putts: 37
Fairways: 8
Greens: 4
Penalties: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment