June 16, 2010

Hot and Cold at Devil's Pulpit

I played the back nine first and got shellacked right off the bat. A 3-iron pulled into the woods, a topped punch shot, a successful punch that ended up lost and a 3-putt were some of the misadventures that led to a score of 10 on hole #10. Brutal.

I followed this up with a beautiful par, first hitting the fairway, then hitting a spectacular 4-iron 190 yards to the flag. A good lag and great finishing putt completed the feat.

The rest of the round was as hot and cold as the first two holes played. I was able to control the driver, as shown by the fact that I hit ten fairways. My long irons were also very good. However, my short game left a lot to be desired. I shanked wedge shots from 80 yards out, duffed or blasted some greenside chips, and left some putts way short of the hole.

On the front nine, I shot a respectable 44, including four pars and three bogeys. These holes were played very well. Sand saves on holes #2 and #5 were especially satisfying. Unfortunately, the front nine was marred by a pair of triple bogeys, both on par-3 holes. Hole #7 was particularly bedevilling.

Score: 101
Putts: 40
Fairways: 10
Greens: 4
Penalties: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment