June 16, 2010

Delightful Day at Woodington Lake Legacy

I played the Legacy Course at Woodington Lake and it ended up being a fantastic day. It's a course I enjoyed the first time I played it and it seems to grow on me with each return visit. Conditions were quite windy, but that only added to the challenge.

To say my driver was hit and miss would be an understatement. I hit a number of sliced drives that found the fairway, but which were extremely short. I can control those "baby slices" rather well, but that's not at all the shot shape I want. It tends to be the result when I get tentative off the tee. When I got more aggressive, I actually hit some pretty straight drives. The key is to do this consistently. It's tough because every once in a while I'll connect with a straight pull that goes well left of target.

Unlike my driver, my irons were consistent all day. A few years ago, I rarely played my low irons, as I found it difficult to get the ball launched in the air. Nowadays, I have no reservations when hitting a 4-iron or 3-iron. In fact, I often have more confidence with the low irons because I feel like I can control the ball better with a lower trajectory.

My short game was also pretty good this day. I made decent pitch and chip shots when necessary, getting up and down on a couple of occasions. My putting was solid, though not spectacular. I had five 3-putts, but made up for them with an equal number of 1-putts.

Overall, it was a solid result on a really great day.

Score: 92
Putts: 36
Fairways: 6
Greens: 4
Penalties: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment