June 16, 2010

Indian Wells Becoming a Nemesis

Indian Wells is the new Kedron Dells, or so it seems. For those unfamiliar with my golfing history, Kedron Dells was a nemesis of mine for quite some time. It seemed like I would have a bad round every time I ventured to the Oshawa area course. Last summer, I finally got the Kedron monkey off my back.

No sooner did I rid myself of one nemesis than have another step up to take its place. The new nemesis is Indian Wells, a Burlington area course situated in the shadow of the Niagara escarpment. I have played the course in the past without incident, but recent visits have been less than pleasant.

In fact, these unfortunate experiences encouraged me to re-visit the course. I want to replace the bad memories with good ones, or perhaps I'm a glutton for punishment. Either way, I returned to Indian Wells on a cold and windy weekend.

The fact that I hit my first shot out of bounds was a very bad omen. There is a lot of room on the first hole and no need to bring out of bounds into play. Almost every shot I atempted on the first hole was a bad one, leading to a terrible score of nine. I quickly repeated the feat, scoring a nine on hole #2. My round was over practically before it started, and I knew it. I would soldier on for the remaining holes, but there was really nothing left to salvage.

I tried to focus on every shot and actually played half of the holes very well. When I found myself in trouble however, there was simply no recovery. The rough at Indian Wells has been particularly lush of late, making it highly penal to miss the fairway. On a couple of occasions, I ventured into the woods and could not easily chip out. To top it all off, I had way too many 3-putts.

Chalk it up as a learning experience and move on.

Score: 108
Putts: 39
Fairways: 7
Greens: 1
Penalties: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment